RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I like the weird stuff too! There are so many projects I have in the line to put up that are so cool and old school

keen101

Just found this site. I would like more metal shop, lathe, homemade power tools.

Actually I am in the process of downloading every Popular Mechanics issue from archive.org from 1924 onward and I'm extracting the plans for DIY lathes and anything else that looks interesting. Would you like any copies of what I find?

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Just found this site. I would like more metal shop, lathe, homemade power tools.

Actually I am in the process of downloading every Popular Mechanics issue from archive.org from 1924 onward and I'm extracting the plans for DIY lathes and anything else that looks interesting. Would you like any copies of what I find?

I'd love it! You should see my stack of actual, physical copies of these. Welcome!

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
I also do have a fun set of metal working plans lined up and ready to go. During the holiday I could work on that.

skrubly

I’ve been working on the cross slide from the plans to fit it to a wood lathe off and on for some months; I’m using it as the basis for a home built metal lathe using linear rails for the ways and some pillow block bearings for the spindle. I had little success drilling the 1/4” sections successfully even while clamped; so I switched course and am using 1/2” plate and changing it to a dovetail. Hand cutting them has been a challenge but I have yet another solution for that... anyways, I’ll post some pictures and some revised drawings if people are interested.

keen101, I am VERY interested in anything else you find - I’ve looked at a lot of things that are already online like the mason lathe book, etc, but am always looking for more plans and ideas